Affirmations are sentences designed to inspire and motivate you to achieve a desired result, or take a course of action that you would otherwise feel uncomfortable doing. Affirmations work by directly influencing the conscious and subconscious or super-conscious mind as I like to call it. The act of regularly affirming a desired outcome works by reprogramming your mind to align your beliefs with whatever it is you are trying to achieve.
I have heard many people say that affirmations don't work and that they are a waste of time. My reply to those people is "Anything you believe to be true, is true. If you don't believe it will work right from the start, then it has little chance of success". That belief applies to everything in life - not just affirmations!
I have used affirmations to enhance my success rate in a wide range of scenarios since I was 11 years old, back then I had no idea what I was doing, and nevertheless it was effective. I would often whisper softly to myself "I can do it, I'm the best, nothing can stop me!" right before confronting a bully, taking an exam, taking on my friends at computer games and other challenging situations a boy of that age finds himself in. Affirmations have worked in giving me courage, confidence and unwavering self-belief when I needed it the most.
This is what affirmations have done for me, and will do for you:
- They inspire and motivate
- They create new beliefs that open up new opportunities
- They gear you towards positive thinking and this in turn makes you happier
- They encourage you to take action upon your goals
- They increase your energy and enthusiasm
You can use affirmations for a wide variety of effects:
- Increase positive thinking
- Increase happiness
- Improve health
- Weight loss
- Improve career and money prospects
- Increase success
- Increase confidence
- Stop smoking, drinking or taking drugs
- Deal with emotional trauma
The list really is endless, any outcome you can imagine you can write an affirmation to achieve it.
The key to making affirmations work is in the execution. Follow these 4 easy steps to empower your affirmations and manifest your dreams:
1. Make them your own
Write any affirmations you wish to use in your own words; this gives them more power by adding authenticity and meaning, while making them more believable to your subconscious.
2. Keep it Simple
Simplify the language you use when writing your affirmations. Use short, simple sentences and you will easily remember what needs to be said. Short simple sentences penetrate the super-conscious mind much faster than a whole paragraph (which can be tricky to remember).
3. One at a time
Focusing on one subject at a time generates more power for the desired goal. Spreading yourself too thin will take that much more time to manifest the desired result. For example if you have 3 goals such as losing weight, being more confident and quitting smoking; it's more effective to focus on one of those things for a good amount of time until you get the results. Trying to do all 3 things, will likely end with you giving up becuase you are not seeing progress fast enough.
4. Say it again
Say them loud or say them soft; so long as you repeat them as often as possible. The more often you say them, the more you will start to believe in what you’re saying and prompt your super-conscious mind to take 'automatic action' in the direction you seek.
Finally, affirmations are best said with conviction, while looking at your reflection in the mirror. Passionately repeat your affirmation several times daily - if you're out in public and feeling a bit shy - just say them silently in your mind and feel the power of the words surge through you. I say my affirmations first thing in the morning, throughout the day silently as a reminder to stay true to my purpose, and last thing at night so that my dreams align with my desires.
Here are some example affirmations you can use immediately:
Affirmations for health:
- My body is strong and healthy
- I’m full of energy and vitality
- I lose weight easily and healthily
- I accept and love my body as it is and work to make it better
- Losing weight and I are one
- I build lean muscle and lose fat fast
- I never get sick, my immune system protects me, always
Affirmations for Self-Esteem:
- I am strong and secure
- I am a professional, I know things
- My mistakes teach me to be better and stronger
- I take action without hesitation
- I am loved and give love
- I am enough, I have enough
- I can do anything I put my mind to
- I am confident in all situations
- Courage comes naturally to me
Affirmations for Positive thinking:
- I feel amazing, life is good to me
- I was born lucky, everything always works out
- Every cloud has a silver lining
- I’m positively charged, nothing can go wrong
- I am a good person, I create good results
- I feel so blessed to be where I am
- Everything I need, comes to me naturally
Affirmations for quitting smoking, drinking or drugs:
- Smoking does nothing for me, I feel more alive without it
- The smell of cigarettes is sickening, I’m so much better without them
- Drinking does nothing for me, my mind and body feel so much better now
- I am not an alcoholic, I’m a strong person completely in control of a bright future
- [Insert drug name] has no control over me, I am strong and focused on a balanced life
- I have boundless will power, nothing can hold me back from being healthy and pure
- It feels wonderful to be in control of myself
- I'm not an addict, I'm healthy strong will person
Affirmations for dealing with depression:
- I am worthy, I have a place in this world
- I feel happier every day, and take action to invigorate my life
- I feel fulfilled and joyful. My life is full of meaning.
- Every day is a new opportunity to enjoy life
- My future is exciting, and it starts today
- I am in control of my emotions and I understand them
- I forgive myself and I forgive those who have wronged me
- I can feel my life taking a positive turn! Life is good
- Being happy is the easiest choice I made
These are just a few ways you can use affirmations to empower your mental state, as well as guide your super-conscious and conscious mind into a new exciting beginning that has no limits.
Thanks for reading and please share your affirmations in the comments below, I would love to hear what has worked for you.
Until the next time, stay positive, stay healthy, live with passion and compassion.